SAP Commerce Eclipse Plugin 2.0 Released
Hello colleagues! My name is Maxim Bilohay and I would like to tell you about the new developer experience we brought in our SAP Commerce Cloud Eclipse plugin.
OverviewBack in 2016, EPAM released an Eclipse plugin that makes it easier for developers to work with SAP Commerce (Hybris that time) code. The first version was released in January 2017. Recently we introduced a version 2.0, and I will try to explain the details of the new features and improvements, besides reminding the existing functionality. For those who are not familiar with the Eclipse, it is one of the most used and well-known IDEs for developing Java applications. It is also very popular among the SAP Commerce developers. Hybris, and later SAP mentioned Eclipse in their documentation as the recommended option for developing SAP Commerce applications. IDE plugins help developers in building apps faster and easier. They automate different facets of the routine work and make the IDE work smoother with the framework, library, scripting syntax originally not supported by IDE out of the box (like SAP Commerce, for instance). Because of the open nature of the IDE marketplaces, it is common to have more than one plugin available. For SAP Commerce, there are several options. Being developed independently, they have own pros and cons for a particular task. There is no single answer on what is better fit your tasks. You should try and find it on your own. But we at EPAM did our best to combine the best aspects of every solution with our personal experience, which we gathered on a variety of different projects. Our goal was to empower the developers (and ourselves) with the best toolset. That’s why this product was built by developers for developers and we hope it has an “engineering” spirit.
Key featuresThe plugin lets users work with common SAP Commerce Cloud items and offer numerous features, which can be useful in SAP Commerce day to day work:
- Easy import of specific SAP Commerce Cloud extensions/projects, along with resolving their dependencies.
- A custom Impex editor with built-in auto-complete, syntax highlighting, auto auto-formatting and ability of folding/expanding Impex blocks.
- Easy navigation in Impex Editor using Eclipse Outline View.
- Ability to run and validate ImpEx on remote servers
- Hyperlinks from Impex items to items.xml types/attributes declarations.
- Flexible search editor with auto-complete and formatting, also including the ability to execute it right against the remote server and see the result inside your IDE.
- Solr search console which allows the execution of Solr queries directly from Eclipse (NEW)!
- SAP Commerce Cloud Log Watcher, which helps you easily troubleshoot your application in real-time (NEW)!
- Quick creation of simple queries in Flexible Search Query Builder.
- SAP Commerce extensions/modules generation.
- Ability to generate SAP Commerce Cloud-specific classes and merge them into spring context.