Recently SAP launched hybris-as-a-service (YaaS.io) as open beta. I looked it thoroughly and made some experiments. YaaS is a cloud-based solution for e-commerce based on ideas of service oriented architecture. According the the idea the functional components of your e-shop are available as independent services with their own data. It allows you to have more flexibility and scalability within the platform you’re using. Despite the similarity in their titles, hybris and YaaS are completely different products. SAP hybris is rich of features and highly extensible, all components are clear and well-tested, you can find thousands websites powered by SAP hybris online. What is YaaS?
- Set of ready-to-use out-of-the-box RESTful APIs looking like add-ons or plugins in your shop. Source code is not available, poor extensibility. Using these services your storefront and control panels operate with e-commerce data like products, orders, customers etc. Access rights depend on users.
- Control panels for out-of-the-box add-ons, non-configurable and non-extensible.
- Message queue system to communicate between services
- Marketplace for APIs from SAP and third-party service suppliers. It has not been opened yet.
- A set of tools for making your own APIs and control panels. Starter kit.
- Pivotal.io/Cloud Foundry integration for APIs.